Cistanche in the ancient Chinese traditional medical books
The Chinese Materia Medica believes that it is sweet and salty in flavor and warm in nature. It acts on meridians of kidney and large intestine.
Basic functions are tonifying kidney yang, invigorating essence and blood, and lubricating the intestines. Common cistanche uses and indications include kidney yang deficiency, ED (erectile dysfunction) due to asthenia of essence and blood, nocturnal emission, gonorrhea, frequent urination, dribbling of urine after completion of urination, low back pain, weak legs, tinnitus, blurred vision, delayed menses, infertility caused by uterus cold, and constipation due to dry intestine. Recommended cistanche dosage is from 10 to 15 grams. In addition, there are other cistanche products available, such as cistanche supplement, pills, powder, capsules, cistanche extract, etc.
1) Rou Cong Rong Wan from Yi Xin Fang (Prescriptions from the Heart of Medicine). It is combined with Tu Si Zi (Cuscuta), Xu Duan (Japanese Teasel Root), Du Zhong (Eucommia Bark), to treat weak and sickly men, impotence, and urine dribbling for some time after finishing urination.
2) Jin Gang Wan from the Zhang Shi Yi Tong (Comprehensive Medicine according to Master Zhang). It works with Eucommia, Ba Ji Tian (Morinda Root), Zi He Che (Placenta Hominis), etc. to cure impotence caused by deficient kidney.
3) Ren Chang Wan from Ji Sheng Fang (Life-saving prescriptions). It is coupled with Chen Xiang (Agarwood) and Ma Zi Ren (hemp seeds) to heal constipation caused by excessive sweating and loss of body fluid.
4) Ji Chuan Jian from Jing Yue Quan Shu (Jingyue’s Complete Works). It is matched with Dang Gui (Dong Quai), Niu Xi (Achyranthes), Ze Xie (Water Plantain Root), etc. to cure weakness of kidney qi, constipation, abundant clear urine, soreness of waist, and chill in back.
5). Rou Cong Rong Wan from Sheng Ji Zong Lu (Complete Record of Holy Benevolence). It is prepared with wine and made into pills to treat asthenic diseases in lower energizer, abdominal pain, and no desire to eat or drink.
6) Rou Cong Rong Wan from Tai Ping Sheng Hui Fang (Taiping Holy Prescriptions for Universal Relief). It is equipped with She Chuang Zi (Cnidium Seeds), Yuan Zhi (Senega Root), Wu Wei Zi (Fructus Schisandrae Chinensis), Fu Zi (Aconite), etc. to heal asthenic disease, warm lower jiao, benefit essence, and relieve back and knee pain.